Labels

Monday, July 11, 2011

Summer Projects

I had many projects around the house planned for my summer off from school. Since the summer has reached the half way mark, I have completed a good many of the projects that were planned. My first priority was to do some cleaning around the house. So the first two weeks were spent doing those jobs that didn't get much attention during the school year. I had many sewing projects planned and most of those have been completed. I also wanted to refinish some furniture pieces that are in the attic and could be cleaned up and used. I have been reading several blogs with some amazing "rags to riches" furniture painting projects that have motivated me. I started with a small dresser that has been in both the kids' rooms at one time or another, painted in shades from white to a hammered gunmetal grey. It is a piece that I picked up free when the kids were little. It is not good wood, just a mix of wood and pressboard, so I thought if I just hated it I wouldn't have lost much. I started with a good sanding. Here is a picture during the sanding process.


I then applied two coats of primer and sanded in between each coat.


I then used an eggshell latex paint in Rain Mist. I love this color. The color really looks washed out in the pictures, but it really is a pretty, watery blue. After two coats of paint and sanding I used a brown antiquing wash followed by a paste wax finish and new hardware. I love it! Now I am ready to paint anything that is not moving.


Here is a better picture of the finish.



























No comments:

Post a Comment