Labels

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Heirlooms

     I just finished quilting a precious quilt.  When we recently moved, I rediscovered some quilt tops that had been pieced by my grandmother.  I found this sweet Red Riding Hood appliqued top.  Each of the faces were handpainted.  I know that my grandmother pieced and appliqued the top, but I don't know who painted the faces for her.  Little Red Riding Hood is one of Harper's favorite stories, so I decided to finish the quilt for her and Addie..  It pleases me that they will have a little bit of Grandma Lena, also. 
     The top is large, it covers a queen size bed. Since moving, I have not found a long arm quilter to finish my quilting projects, so I decided that it is time to learn to free motion quilt.  I watched several YouTube videos and dug in.  I am pleased with how it turned out.  It took quite a few hours and some sore shoulders, but I enjoyed the project. I am determined to try free motion quilting on smaller projects to perfect my stitching. 
      Now, I think we need to take this baby on a picnic! I have washed and dried the quilt and it launders well.

No comments:

Post a Comment